August 21, 2009

Love you, We The Kids!!


By Aishwarya Sharma
I have been asked to describe my experience with We the Kids on the issuance of its 50th edition this time. But to be very honest, I can’t really put it up together in words because it has truly been an enriching and inspiring experience of my life. Right from the pre commencement to the inception of this newsletter, to this very day, each moment has been so memorable, so enthralling for me, the most positive, and unforgettable facets of my life. This is WE THE KIDS!
As a team member, We the Kids is a little baby for me, right from the days when I was new to Garhwal Post, wherein I didn’t really define the kind of work I’m going to do here, and the day when the Editorial Coordinator, Aastha, my boss, and one of my very special and intimate friends put forth the idea and layout for me, I have learnt new lessons each day, even if they originated from negative experiences.For a starry eyed teenager like me, who’s so passionate for writing, I won’t really call myself a good writer, but I do have a passion and penchant for writing, this was the correct destination for me. I have never told anyone before what WE THE KIDS meant for me, but today, I’m indebted for the opportunity I got to work here, earn for the first time in my life, write with conviction, and improve on my skills. And I have received so much from here, without being qualified, leave alone not having a degree in hand, I didn’t even pass my class twelve, so I can’t even be a fresher!
Truly speaking, I have nurtured WE THE KIDS like my own child since the day the plan was given to me by Aastha, for whom, this enterprise was equally important, to the launch of its first issue on the 5th of September, 2008 to today, when my little baby is 50 weeks old!! Right from asking people to write, searching for new writing talent, inspiring the non writers to start writing, taking interviews, adding finishing touches and editing write-ups to enhance their presentation without making them lose their originality and preserving their ‘idiosyncrasies’, I couldn’t have done it without anyone’s support out here, especially Aastha and Shilpi, my two really close friends, and the two pillars on whom the newsletter stands.
And I have certain achievements to my credit; they are not related to my personal gains, but the kind of difference I made to others. So many people were actually inspired to start writing, because they saw me as a part of WE THE KIDS. This includes my friend Shahid Khan, my friend and a volunteer at Doon Youth Centre who has written really poignant articles, my own brother Sidharth Sharma, my friend, Shivangi Bansal, and many others who had undaunted faith in the paper, and believed that this paper truly reflects an atmosphere of candidness and camaraderie.
It’s really surprising how we came out of all the small and big struggles for the paper, whether it was the shortage of matter for accommodating in the paper, to the crunch of contributors, to all struggles we faced, all this, because all those guys, Aastha, Shilpi, Mishra Sir, Satish Sir, held our hands and helped us steer though victoriously through all obstacles with sheer ease and optimism.
Whether it was the rebuking, the feedback, or the appreciation, I’ve had a special person by my side, Aastha, who’s been like an elder sister to me, being my guide and philosopher in times of need. I shared all parts of my life with you, and found that you were actually the right person for this. Even your scolding was like the sweet words of encouragement you constantly supplied me with. And trust me, I’ve grown as a person, and as a team member in a tremendous way when I’ve been with you. The fights, the arguments, the love, the fun, everything is an integral part of my life. Thanks Aastha!
I had nothing to my credit before I came here, I was just another teenager, shattered, disappointed, disheartened, till I found a basis of my existence, a pillar to my identity, a platform for me to let my hair down. Truly, Aishwarya Sharma is just so incomplete without WE THE KIDS! I have over the times, written over so many issues concerning day to day life, and even the thought provoking issues in the global scenario. I have written it all. And the way my creativity, however limited it is, was adequately preserved and the realms of my imagination were let off like a free bird, flying away to glory and capturing new, astounding heights.
Today, when I’m not a part of the team because of my academic commitments, I miss the entire team, the kind of work we did, the formation and designing of the paper and all the activities related to the paper. I really thank everyone out there for being such a valuable source of encouragement and support for me, giving me immense love at all times. Thanks again to Satish Sir, Mishra Sir, and Aastha for blessing me with such a wonderful opportunity. This has been the most exhilarating and enchanting experience of my life. I express earnest gratitude from the deepest bottoms of my heart to all of you for endowing on me such a beautiful experience of a lifetime.Thanks for making my dreams come true,

No comments: