July 9, 2009

My two Passions


By : Vikramaditya Bhatnagar,
Class VII , St. Josephs’ Academy.
I am eleven years of age and studding in class VII, St. Josephs’ Academy, Dehradun. My two great passions are books and music.
I have read a number of books by different writers and am often inspired to write. I have been writing for my school magazine in the past and for the last few weeks sending my stories and articles to " Garhwal Post", to be published in the children’s section.
Music is my second passion. I like to sing and play music. At my previous school , I was a part of my school choir. I have learnt to play harmonium and qualified in the first year exam for the Indian classical music. It was my father who wanted me to learn music and when I was in class second, I was sent to a music school to learn harmonium and vocal music.As a beginner, I started to learn to play the keyboard. I learnt some sargams and songs on the keyboard and one fine day my dad got me a harmonium. I played on a different scale, on the harmonium. It took me a few months, but I finally got a knack of it. After learning classical music for some time, I wanted a change. I wanted to do some thing different. I told my mother that I wanted to learn Guitar. My mother is also interested in music and often sings with me. So we both decided to take lessons for playing the Guitar. Presently I am learning Guitar along with my mother. We go together to my favourite music teacher, who was teaching music at my former school, for learning Guitar. I hope I am able to continue with music once my school reopens, after the summer vacations. As I get a lot of home work from the school, I fear that I may not be able to find time to continue learning music.
I would continue to play and sing, as music is a good pastime. It is also a good throat exercise and a way to express my feelings. It is a great stress- buster too. I can rejuvenate myself with music, when I feel tired or tense, so it also helps me to concentrate better in my studies.Whatever form of music I learn or play, I am certain that music would always remain an important part of my life in the present and the future.

No comments: