September 27, 2009

Tina and the ghost


By Janette

(Janette Biddulph (66) studied at Wynberg Allen in Mussoorie and worked as a warden for 20 years in Colonel Brown School. She began writing for children in 1977. She has been living in Dehradun since 1958).
The name given to me by one of my sisters was Tina and it suited me for I was quite tiny from birth, never looked my age.
My family consisted of three sisters who were much older than me and one brother who was three years elder to me. We all lived in Karachi, which is situated in Pakistan [this was before the partition]. My Dad was always taking us kids out for rides in a car, after all he was a Mechanic and lots of cars, and he could make use of. We lived in a house which never had any electricity; Therefore it was very hot, especially in the summers.
As usual Dad asked us, "Do any of you want to go for a drive?" My elder sisters ran downstairs, followed by my brother William and our servant. Looking at me he asked, "Coming darling?" I really wanted to go, but before I could answer, Mom replied, "No Tina, better have a good sleep as she never slept in the afternoon." "O.K. Darling, I'll take you tomorrow evening and leave the servant at home."
Mom sang a Lullaby for me and I went to sleep. I woke all of a sudden, feeling very thirsty. I turned and woke my mother, and asked her, "Will you please give me some water for I am feeling very thirsty." Mummy got up and gave it to me; I drank the whole lot and asked for more, she gave me another glass, but this time I couldn't drink it as the glass of water was snatched from my tiny hands and the water was thrown in my face.My eyes were closed but now I opened them and started screaming for all I was worth, "M U-M-M-y, Bogeyman!
Bogeyman!" I was staring at a very tall, fat man, his hands were very long and he had them stretched towards me; I grabbed mummy's hand and with my other hand I pointed at the Bogeyman. He was frowning at me and pulling my hand; I kept on screaming as loud as I could and holding on to mummy's hand with all my strength. Mum could feel me being pulled away from her but couldn't see what I was seeing. Anyway she managed to get her Rosary from under her pillow; this she put on my neck; at once my hand was free and the Bogeyman said in angry voice, "I am going away now but will return very soon." I heard what he said but mom never heard a single word. Mom put her arms tightly around and I felt safe,. I slept till morning. Mummy told Dad all that had happened in the night, but he only laughed, but said, "Tina must have had a bad dream. "Who grabbed the glass and threw the water in my face, and then tried to pull me out of mummy's arms, I answered in a very frightened voice. To be continued...

No comments: