July 6, 2009

The Brother Sister Ruckus versus Love


By Aishwarya Sharma
Convent of Jesus & Mary

How interesting on earth would it be to have a younger brother and an elder sister? Or rather how irritating would it get to have the same?? Phew!! I am tragically intermediate between an elusive young woman of 25 years [di will surely kill me for leaking out her age in public, abide by the rules, and never speak out a girl’s age!!] and an equally hyperactive younger brother. The similarity being that we never stop bickering about each other. Fights, quarrels, and sometimes, [to be true, change sometimes to ‘most of the time’] scuffles make it an eventful day for our parents who are already tormented by the stinking cupboards already filled with dirty sweaty clothes, the used up utensils filled with ice cream leftovers, mango seeds, lunch snippets all around the bedroom coupled with the sneaky creepy stuff we do everyday.
Struggling to grab the packet of Kurkure lying in the no man’s territory lying in the middle of our territories, snatching the TV remotes from each other because he yearns to watch the boring cricket matches and the irritating Shinchan [fine I like it, but I hate watching the same episodes over and over again and he never admits he’d watched that one before!], she yearns to watch Splitzvilla and all [I like it but soon get bored because she’s watching it!] and well, my huge choice ranging from daily soaps, music videos, to Chinese Kung Fu films and NDTV 24X7, using each other’s things without letting each other know, threatening to tell mom about each other’s new sets of mischief and getting a set of tasks done in barter, we’ve done many other crazy things like this and more will follow once my brother properly fits into the category of an adolescent and as it its, teenagers are evident lunatics anyway!
I slyly wear my sister’s shirts to the evening class, pinch and tickle my brother who responds to this with either a big loud whimper, a complaint to mom, or an attack of his fist [that really hurts by the way!
We really do at times compare the things our parents got for us, and who got more, and who got less, always jealous that they love either of us more than the other. Calling each other troublemakers, stupid, idiot, moron, and practically every bad word we could ever learn while we feel angry at each other for some reason or the other.
Me, complexed with my sister’s fair skin and attractive appearance and the fact that everyone, practically everyone knows her and not me, or probably doesn’t recognize me, and my sister bickering about me having more clothes than her, and my brother also trying to quarrel at some reason or the other.
But well, we also find a great sense of entertainment with each other too. Laughing at the stupid characters in serials and reality shows, making fun of the groom at the baraat, criticizing our parents sometimes, exchanging smiles when our parents are scolding us and we aren’t serious at all, imitating the neighbourhood ‘aunty’ and mocking every possible trait of her personality, teasing our parents, teasing each other, helping each other get out of the messes we end up into, whether its secretly going into the restaurant with friends on a holiday at the pretext of going to school for a practice [in my case of course], going to a friend’s place for playing [in my brother’s case], returning home late from office [in my sister’s case].
I’m five years elder to my brother, and eight years younger to my sister, that means my brother is thirteen years younger to my sister! Three people from three completely different age groups end up being siblings!! Hola! Our parents have gained an interesting group of unique devils to rampage the house!!
Well, we’re different, we’re crazy, and we bicker, quarrel, fight, and well, go on a plunder, a complete plunder!! But well, we just love each other, in our own special ways, without letting each other know [sometimes, we get to know though!!]
My sister has this amazing kind of sixth sense that intrigues me so much, without me telling her, she can easily and accurately guess what’s going on in my mind. Well, I didn’t tell her about the guy my friends linked me to, but she knew this, and even the guy’s name. phew! This is just one thing, there are thousands of such examples. Sinister, isn’t it?
Kissing my brother goodnight when he’s fast asleep [this devil looks so innocent, cute and sweet when he’s sleeping], saving each other from the anger of our parents, sharing every little thing we’re eating, [though we end up fighting for it], missing each other when either is gone somewhere [though we pretend to be in incredible peace due to their absence!], getting worried for each other out of some reason or the other, well it’s a long list, but there’s one recent incident that’s left deep impressions in my mind.
My mother couldn’t find the key to her cupboard, and I was the suspected culprit, all the suspicion was on me because the other day I surreptitiously took out mom’s sophisticated mobile phone because my own phone was out for repair, though this time, I didn’t do anything at all. These two devils advocated my side but my parents indignantly refused to believe me. But they did! I was aghast with shock and grief and kept on repeating I didn’t do anything, I was beaten up, shouted at in the middle of the night, and out of anger and shock, I started beating myself up, and sobbing uncontrollably when my parents realized their folly and came to apologize and soon I was down with high blood pressure. Moaning dizzily, I couldn’t stand, I was feeling wobbly, and was in a state of complete shock, but as I briefly opened my eyes, I could see these two devils crying uncontrollably and doing each bit of help and advocating they could possibly do. This made me realize, no matter how much of fighting I do everyday, I know that these two guys will be there for me no matter what! We love each other despite the quarrel, despite the animosity, despite the irritation, and well, despite the irritating sounds my brother takes out from his mouth, shouting, burping, mimicry, imitation, trumpeting, whatever. Despite my sister being too nosy at times, despite me feeling like lynching them in public. We share a loving and wonderfully amiable bond and surely no one can replace us in each of our lives!
Love u Neha Di, and Sid!

No comments: